Our Design Process: The Steps and Service You Can Expect Near Islip, Brookhaven, Smithtown
Here at Kuhn Construction, we pride ourselves on offering high-quality and affordable home remodeling services for our customers throughout Islip, Brookhaven, Smithtown, and nearby in New York. Below, we have outlined exactly what you can expect from our design process when you get started on your kitchen, bathroom, or other home remodeling project. We always work closely with homeowners to ensure that the final result matches your vision.
Contact us today to learn more about our design and build services in Suffolk & Nassau County or to schedule your free estimate!
Dreaming & Planning
At our first meeting, we will:
- Listen to what you like and don't like about your current home.
- Listen to your goals, needs, and desires.
- Talk about different possibilities.
- Discuss your desired budget and investment comfort zone.
- Read through and execute Design Retainer Agreement (required fee for Design Retainer Agreement is 2% of low end of the estiamted budget or minimum of $5000).
Once the Design Retainer Agreement has been approved, we will have our second meeting (Measure Meeting), which will include:
- Complete Project Planning Guide Questionnaire.
- Complete a field sketch and gather more detailed measurements.
- Discover material choices/selections.
- Take photographs of all areas in scope of work.
- Schedule a time to meet and review Phase 1 design concepts at Kuhn Construction offices in Islip.
Review Your Designs
At our third meeting (Design Meeting), we will:
- Review the designs/concepts and alternatives we have created for you and make corrections/revisions.
- Review any impacts these changes might make on your budget.
- Schedule a meeting to review revised design concept, if necessary (note: the initial Design Retainer Agreemetn includes up to two revised design concepts).
- Discuss and execute Final Design Development Agreement (required fee for Final Design Development Agreement is 6% of low end of the estimated budget).
Selecting Your Materials
Once the Final Design Development Phase Agreement is executed, the following will take place. We will:
- Prepare a shopping list (what we call our "Customer Selection Sheet") for you of all items that need to be selected.
- Guide you through the Selection Process using our Selection Room, samples, pictures, and previous projects, and you choose what you like and want.
- Guide you through the forms and styles available for each item.
- Help you decide on appropriate colors.
- Get color copies and samples of the items you've selected.
- Keep track of all selections made so that as we review each area of design you can be assured that your theme is consistent and that we are creating the picture that you want.
Finalizing Our Plans
Prior to the final meeting of the design process, we will:
- Have our production department review your plans and visit your home to confirm buildability.
- Gather quotations from all vendors for the selected materials.
- Complete the final specifications.
- Complete the final plans.
At this closing meeting, we will:
- Review the final plans.
- Review final specifications.
- Review Final Contract and Payment Schedule.
- Make small revisions (if necessary).
- Have you approve a construction agreement which allows us to start the next phase of your project.
Before we start actual construction, we will:
- Apply for the building permits/variances, etc. as needed depending on the project and town requirements.
- Release all purchase orders to all vendors.
- Prepare the construction packet for your Project Manager.
- Schedule the pre-construction team conference.
Pre-Construction Team Conference
At this meeting, we will:
- Introduce you to your Project Manager.
- Review the project on-site with your PM.
- Ask a series of questions regarding general "housekeeping" issues to ensure your safety and security during construction.
After the conference, we will:
- Prepare the actual construction schedule that we will use to complete your project in a timely manner.
During construction, we will:
- Update you on changes to the schedule using our online Project Management software.
- Update you on work that is being performed.
- Meet with you to address any concerns and questions that may arise during construction.
- Update you on any changes that may require cost increases or credits due to changes in scope of work.
- Utilize our detailed checklist during each phase of construction to ensure that your project is complete with accuracy and to a high level of quality.
After construction work is completed, we will:
- Deliver your warranty and information packet.
- Call you after 6 months to see how you are enjoying the work we performed for you and see if there is anything we need to adjust.
Our goal is to make the process an enjoyable experience for you. We want you to love the enhancements to your home and share your experience with others who would benefit from our services.
If you're ready to get started on your kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, or other home remodeling project in New York, don't hesitate to contact the remodeling experts at Kuhn Construction today! We offer free, no-obligation estimates throughout Suffolk & Nassau County.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.